Feel free to email us at: info@thefellowshiptoday.org

Change – Leadership’s Greatest Challenge, Part 2

Posted by: In: From the Fellowship 22 Sep 2012 Comments: 0 Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

canadian pharmacy for viagra

by Dr. David Robinson

 

 

“Seven Steps for Making New Things Happen”

I.  Set Measurable Goals:

Never underestimate the high price you pay for pursuing undefined goals.  Only 3% of the people in the world set definable goals with an action plan to reach them.  The other 97% work for those who do.

Every team member needs to understand exactly what’s expected of him or her personally and for the team he or she plays on.  There must be a clear definition of the expected results and a pro-active strategy for achieving them.  Everyone must know the “score” at all times.  Otherwise, how will you know if you win?

II.  Engage a Seasoned Coach/Mentor

Experienced coaches or mentors will help you with the following seven things:

  1.  They keep everyone focused on the goals without present efforts suffering.
  2.  They provide timely and constructive feedback.
  3. They create an environment of trust and accountability.
  4. They encourage and guide leaders who encounter resisters (people) and obstacles (internal and external challenges).
  5. They use their experience and knowledge of the marketplace, church world, communication, and people, to develop and sustain good working relationships.
  6. They understand that effectiveness is gained through influence and relational equity – not command and control-style leadership or non-relational consulting.
  7. They help develop focused and productive action plans.  They are prepared to offer opinions but not impose them.

III.  Excellence in Communication

One of my favorite mantras is, “Accurate, adequate and shared information, coupled with open and honest communication, is the only way to make informed decisions.”  Learn how to communicate – not just talk.

Great leaders understand the difference between communication and information.  You can offer too much information, but you can never “over- communicate.”  Every opinion counts, every voice is heard, and clarity is paramount – every time and all the time.  What matters is defined, repeated, and pursued; if you don’t define what matters, you won’t do what matters.

IV.  Create and Maintain a Positive Work Environment 

People want to join a team with a positive mindset, a culture of trust and accountability, high morale, and a joy to work with.  Big and small wins are regularly recognized, celebrated, and awarded-for individuals and for teams.

V.  Individual and Team Accountability

Individuals and teams are accountable for results, not just activity.  Leaders model the desired level of accountability by following through on promises.

VI.  Everyone has Opportunity to Grow and Improve

Leaders resource their teams with teaching, training, coaching, finances, equipment and significant learning opportunities.  They clear the path forward, keep the goals focused, and ensure everyone wins.  Synergy is maximized at all times.  No superstars or loners allowed.

VII.  Build Trust- The Glue of Every Team and Lubricant of Every Win

There is a culture of trust – not just acts of trust. Trust is built by the following:

  1. Shared accountability.
  2. Shared commitments.
  3. Open and honest communication based on accurate information.
  4. No secrets and no surprises.
  5. DWYSYWD:  “Do what you say you will do.”

**Great leaders retain the best of the past, combine it with the relevant opportunities of today, and create a better future by learning to lead positive change.

**When things no longer change under your leadership, you are no longer leading, you are managing.  If that’s you, find a leader to follow. There is always a need for good managing leaders.

Circumstances are the rulers of the weak; but they are the instruments of the wise.” – Samuel Glover

Enter Your Mail Address

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.